Sooooo it’s been way too long between posts and sincere apologies for that! Life got in the way…well actually my kitchen renos did but now I’m back! With some great new recipes and inspiration to share including this semifreddo perfect for the warm summer days. I served this on two Christmas occasions and they were an absolute hit. One of my tips when hosting is always endeavour to make a few things that can be pre-prepared to help reduce the stress and enable you to spend more time with your guests. Make this a day or two in advance and keep it in the freezer until just before serving.
Recipe serves 8-10
- 80 g shelled pistachio
- 80 g slivered almonds
- 60g nougatine, chopped
- 3 whole eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 600ml thickened cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 3 tablespoons of honey
- Over a pot of simmering water add the 3 whole eggs, 2 egg yolks, caster sugar and vanilla essence and beat for 3 – 5 minutes until thick and pale.
- In a separate bowl beat the cream until stiff peaks form.
- Once the egg mix is thick and pale remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Using a mortar and pestle, lightly grind half of the pistachio and slivered almonds.
- Fold in the egg mix into the beaten cream until well combined. Toss in the ground pistachio, slivered almonds and the chopped nougatine and fold.
- Get a baking dish that is long and tall approx 25cm long and at least 15cm high. Line it with enough cling wrap to cover the sides and base.
- Pour in the cream mix. Spoon the honey in dollops throughout the mixture. Cover with more cling wrap and freeze overnight.
- Before serving lightly roast in a pan the remaining pistachio and slivered almonds. Remove the semifreddo from the baking dish and garnish with the toasted nuts. Serve immediately.