When life gives you figs!!
A new take on the classic raspberry and blueberry friands…Try them with figs!
- 180 grams unsalted butter, melted
- 120 grams almond meal
- 60 grams plain flour, sifted
- 5 egg whites
- 1 cup icing sugar, sifted
- zest of 1 lemon
- 6 large figs, peeled and cut into quarters
- Preheat fan oven to 180ºC. Lightly grease a 12-hole friand or cupcake tin.
- Sift the plain flour and icing sugar into a bowl. Add the almond meal and lemon zest and combine. Add the melted butter and egg whites and mix together to ensure a thick consistency that is well combined. Add in half of the peeled and cut figs to the mixture and give a quick mix.
- Spoon into the tins until 3/4 full. Place remaining figs on top of the mixture in each hole.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown. Test with a skewer if unsure. The skewer should come out clean and not sticky.
- Once cooked, remove from the oven and leave in the cupcake tin for 5 minutes or until cooled and then transfer each friand to a wire rack for cooling.
- Dust with icing sugar before serving.
- Friands can also be popped into the microwave for 10 seconds subsequent days to warm slightly.
Did you know? Friands can also be frozen? Simply wrap individually in glad wrap and pop into the freezer – store for up to 2 months.