They say that breakfast is the most important meal of the day and since I’ve been taking more care of what I eat and watching my sugar in-take I wanted to have a go at making my own muesli, in the healthiest possible way. This weekend I put aside some time, purchased all the right ingredients and away I went, it was actually really simple to make.
You can swap in and out various ingredients of what you enjoy but below is my mix so far.
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 3 cups rolled oats
- ½ cup coconut flakes
- ¼ cup pumpkin seeds
- ¼ cup roughly chopped pecan nuts
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
- Preheat oven to 160°C. Line a large, baking dish with baking paper.
- Combine honey, sugar and oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring often, for 3-5 minutes or until sugar dissolves. Be careful not to boil the mixture to avoid the sugar from crystallizing.
- Combine remaining ingredients in a large bowl. Pour over warm honey mixture. Mix well to combine.
- Spread mixture evenly over base of dish. Bake for 20-25 minutes, mixing every 10 minutes or until golden and toasted. Set aside to cool completely (muesli will form crisp clusters on cooling).
- Add an extra 2 tablespoons of coconut flakes for added flavour.
- Crumble muesli into an airtight container until ready to serve.
Enjoy with Greek yoghurt with fresh berries.