Maybe it is the warmer weather combined with a desire to get my fitness and health back on track, but I have found myself moving more away from eating red meat. As a result I’m on the hunt for alternative salads that are full of protein, substantial and full of flavour.
This one comes inspired from Jamie Oliver with my own unique twist. I was never one for chickpeas as I grew up with them only ever used in soups, and I didn’t like how they turned out soft and mushy. Pop them into a salad and you’re preaching to the converted!
If you have any other great chickpea salads would love to get your thoughts. Send them to info[@]suburbansparkle.com
- ½ small red onion diced
- 1 red chilli de-seeded and chopped
- 6 baby roma or truss tomatoes chopped
- 1 large tin of cooked chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 large tin of cannellini beans, drained
- 1 bunch of mint leaves
- 1 bunch of basil leaves
- 1 lemon
- sea salt & pepper
- extra virgin olive oil
- 50g feta
- Chop onion, chilli, tomatoes and place in a bowl.
- Heat the drained chickpeas over a low heat for a few minutes. Stir to avoid the chickpeas getting stuck to pan.
- Add cooked chickpeas to bowl along with the cannellini beans.
- Wash and roughly chop basil and mint leaves.
- Squeeze juice from one lemon over the ingredients, season with salt and pepper. Drizzle extra virgin olive oil and roughly crumble feta over the top of the dish.
Voila! Your healthy mid week salad in under 15 minutes.