Inspired by the warm weather streak we have been experiencing in Melbourne along with a desire to get back on the healthy/clean eating bandwagon, tonight’s dinner was panzanella. Panzanella originates in, Italy and is a Tuscan salad of tomatoes, bread, olive oil, basil and red onion. Adapted to suit, my recipe below.
- 6 heirloom tomatoes
- 1 large bunch of basil
- ¼ red onion, sliced thinly
- ½ capsicum, chopped thinly
- 6 kalamata olives, pitted and chopped
- 1 tablespoon of capers, rinsed and drained
- 8 slices of prosciutto, torn
- 4 figs, chopped
- 1 crusty bread baguette
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Wash and prepare all vegetables and throw into a bowl.
- Break up bread and leave out for around 30 minutes. To give it extra crunch, place bread onto a try, drizzle olive oil and pop into the oven for 10 – 15 mins on low heat (150ºc)
- Once everything is in bowl, drizzle olive oil, season with sea salt and pepper and toss through.
enjoy with a poached egg for extra protein.