An easy to make lemon cake for when visitors pop over! Great with tea and coffee. I often prefer cakes that aren’t too sweet and opted not to drizzle anything over this cake, although a bit of icing sugar dusted over can work a treat.
- 250 ml self-raising flour
- 10 ml baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 125 ml butter (melted)
- 180 ml caster sugar
- 1 large lemon (juice and rind)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 pinch of salt
- Pre-heat the oven to about 180°c (fan forced)
- Line a small cake tin with melted butter
- Sift flour and baking powder together
- In a separate bowl mix butter and sugar then add eggs one at a time beating in between each egg, lastly add the lemon rind and lemon juice together with the vanilla essence.
- Now finally add little bits of flour to the wet mixture and beat each time
- Place in cake tin and bake for about 45 minutes depending on your oven.
Recipe adapted from Nigella Lawson