This year for one of our family Christmas celebrations I decided to try and challenge my baking skills and make a pastry based dessert. And now that I’m on the other side, it wasn’t all that bad! I may have had a little helping hand from the husband, after all he is the son of a baker but we won’t dwell on that!
My tip when working with pastry is make sure your house is nice and cool, baking on a warm summer’s night when the house is hot, your hands are hot and your body is radiating heat all over the place and you’re handling dough can make things a little difficult.
The original recipe also recommended placing the pastry in the fridge for 30 mins, to speed things up I popped my pastry in the freezer for half the time or less to reduce the prep time.
Serves 16 | Prep + Cook Time: 1 hour
- ½ cup roasted unsalted pistachios
- 100g unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup self-raising flour
- 1/3 cocoa powder
- ½ cup raspberry or strawberry jam
[ Pastry ]
- 1½ cups plain flour
- ½ cup icing sugar
- 125g cold unsalted butter, chopped coarsely
- 2 tablespoons iced water, or 2 ice-cubes
[ Pastry ]
- Process sifted flour and sugar with butter until crumbly. Add water or ice-cubes until ingredients just come together when processed. Knead dough until smooth. Cover in cling wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Grease either a round or rectangle tart tin. I opted for rectangle. Remove the dough from the fridge and place between bake paper to roll out. Roll until thin and large enough to fill the tin and sides. Slowly ease the dough into the tin ensuring to press into base and sides. Trim edges. With a fork prick base all over. Place in fridge for 30 minutes or in freezer for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 200°c (180°c fan-forced)
- In a mortar and pestle, break up the pistachio nuts.
- Beat butter and sugar in a bowl with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Stir in sifted flour, cocoa and crumbled pistachio nuts.
- Remove the pastry from the fridge/freezer and spread jam over the base of pastry case. Pour in the pistachio mixture. Bake for 15 minutes.
- Reduce oven heat to 175°c (155°c fan-forced) and bake for another 20 – 25 minutes. Allow to cool slightly before removing from the tin and placing on a wire rack. Dust with extra crumbled pistachio for decorative effect.
Serve with vanilla ice-cream