Summer screams fish and chips by the beach, sand beneath your toes, salty beach hair and sunsets. As few of us look like the Victoria Secrets Angels as we swan across the beach, I prefer to avoid too much saturated fats and oils that my local deep-fries my fish and chips in so here is my quick and easy recipe to recreate your own fish with a healthier twist.TIP: Fish needs to be bought fresh and eaten fresh. Fresh fish won’t have that fishy smell and the flesh will be relatively firm and taut. See your local fishmonger for the freshest seafood available.
- 6 Flathead fillet tails.
- 1/2 cup Panko crumbs
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- Salt & Pepper
- 1 Lemon, grated and for squeezing.
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Place the Panko crumbs, grated lemon rind, plain flour and half a teaspoon of salt and pepper into a plastic bag
- Add the fish to the bag, seal it up and shake it around so that the fish tails are nicely coated with the contents of the bag.
- Heat a grill pan or shallow fry pan and add both oils, allow to heat.
- Add the fish in batches and lightly fry/grill until the skin is nice and crispy
- Remove and place on paper toweling to absorb any excess oils
- Serve immediately with a wedge of lemon, additional sprinkle of salt and pepper, salad and/or chips.
Enjoy with a nice cool apple cider or beer.