Working full time, my heart fills with guilt as I jump in the car and watch Zara paw at the gate and her ears droop knowing I am going to work and won’t return until early in the evening. I am always trying to find new ways to make her time at home alone entertaining and less boring.
Here are some of my tips.
- Walking Zara in the morning and better still taking her to the park to chase a ball for a good 15 – 20 mins is a great way to get her tired and stimulate her in the mornings.
- Treat ball – Zara’s Treat Ball is her favourite toy in the whole world, it is her favourite ball to chase but it also can be filled with kibbles so as she plays with it during the day it slowly releases a treat.
- Another option if you don’t have a treat ball is to fill a soft drink bottle (ensure you remove the lid and the ring from the bottle neck as these can be chewed off and swallowed) with kibbles and cut some holes out from the centre to create a treat bottle.
- A great way of keeping Zara entertained is giving her bones and also stuffing her kong full of goodies. I make that part of her morning meal so that she isn’t over eating, but takes her much longer to eat than hoovering down her food. In the warmer months I stuff her Kong with mince meat and kibbles, vegies and fruit and freeze it so it keeps her cool, like an icypole for dogs. Kongs are available in retailers like Big W and specialty pet stores.
- Hiding treats around the house and backyard, provides entertainment for her as she needs to put her nose to use and sniff out all the hiding spots.