Over the weekend I visited my local farmers market and couldn’t resist stocking up on the beautiful organic rhubarb and Granny Smith apples on show. With winter making its frosty appearance nothing warms the cockles of your heart or your stomach more than a tasty apple and rhubarb crumble straight out of the oven.
- ½ cup rolled oat
- ½ cup plain flour
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 tbs caster sugar
- 3 tbs orange juice (freshly squeezed)
- grated rind of one orange
- 4 Granny Smith apples chopped
- 3 sticks of rhubarb chopped
- 60g chilled butter chopped
- Preheat fan oven to 180ºc.
- Place chopped apples and rhubarb into 4 x square oven-proof dishes (10cm x 10cm), sprinkle caster sugar, grated orange rind, and orange juice over the apples and rhubarb. Place covered in the oven and bake for 20-25mins until fruit is starting to soften.
- Prepare the crumble in a bowl, place oats, plain flour and brown sugar together and mix. Then mix chopped butter with the oat mixture to form rough crumbs and then set aside.
- Once time is up on the fruit, remove from oven and stir. Sprinkle crumble in each dish until fruit is covered. Return to oven uncovered for another 20 – 25 mins until golden.
Serve with ice-cream or thickened cream.