Since becoming a mum of a baby who doesn’t like to sleep much during the day, time is a rare commodity. During those quick cat naps I find myself in a race against the clock to do as many household chores and things for myself as quickly and as quietly as possible (because heck it probably took 30 minutes to get him down and I don’t want anything to wake him up). The list is long and it usually starts with a 5 minute dash in the shower, make the bed, putting a load of baby washing, washing dishes, putting toys away and then having something to eat. I’m like a newborn when I get hungry, I’m ravenous and just want to eat immediately and everything in sight (blame that on the milk production). Over the course of the months I’ve started to really struggle with what to make myself for lunch that is quick, easy, nutritious and sometimes requires use of only one hand. And in these warmer months when you feel like something light and refreshing. So I started experimenting with different rice salads, below is one that is super tasty and pretty easy for mum’s to make in a short timeframe. Great to accompany dinner as a side also.
- 1 cup of wild rice and quinoa/brown rice – I use Uncle Ben’s brand of mixed rices that can popped into the microwave for under a minute.
- handful of heirloom tomatoes chopped in halves
- ¼ cup of pomegranate seeds
- 1 small can of tuna
- 1 small can of corn kernels
- chopped parsley
- Microwave rice as per packet instructions, generally 1 minute or less. Pour into a bowl and allow to cool slightly
- Drain tuna can and add contents to rice
- Throw in chopped tomatoes, corn kernels and pomegranate seeds.
- Add chopped parsley and season with salt and pepper, extra virgin olive oil and a squeeze of lemon juice.